At Sacred Heart, Leigh we are fortunate to have specialist PE coaches and a PE coordinator who has studied Physical and Adventure Education at degree level. This expertise greatly enhances our provision in the PE curriculum as well as continuing professional development of teaching staff. All classes partake in at least 2 hours per week of physical activity during curriculum time.
The aims of our PE curriculum are for our children:
- to be able to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and how to be safe in and around water
- to practise skills in a wide range of activities, alone, in small group and in team situations
- to develop healthy, resilient and enthusiastic children for physical activities
- to apply skills learnt to attain higher levels of performance
- to learn about the benefits of and maintain a healthy lifestyle by exercising regularly, being able to remain physically active for a sustained period of time and being aware of risks to health (dangers of drugs, alcohol and lack of exercise)
- to access and experience as many different facets of physical activity as possible in their school life
- to become well-rounded, creative and responsible young people
- to develop techniques and strategies to improve their own and others' performance
- to be encouraged in becoming excellent young leaders, organising and officiating and evaluating what needs to be done to improve
- to be good role models, be able to work independently, motivating and showing a positive sporting attitude to others
- to further increase their level of performance in extra curricular activities and to encourage participation in competitive sport in the local area
Breakfast, Lunchtime and After School Clubs
Throughout the year, Sacred Heart provides a number of activities that all children are welcome to attend. Many lunchtime clubs are used in preparation to play in inter-school competitions in the borough.
Breakfast clubs for Football and Dance have been introduced in 2017.
Teaching staff and Premier Sport coaches organise and supervise these lunchtime and after school clubs:
Tag Rugby League KS1
Rugby League KS2
Tag Rugby League KS2
Pop Lacrosse KS2
Hockey Quiksticks KS2
Cross Country KS2
Adventure Service Challenge KS2
Just Join In (Inclusion) Days KS1
Just Join In (Inclusion) Days KS2
Y6 children apply to be play leaders organising and providing activities for KS1 during lunchtimes Monday to Thursday. This helps Y6 play leaders to become more independent and responsible. On Friday lunchtimes, KS1 children are encouraged to play games independently using the games play leaders have introduced.
The Golden Mile
Sacred Heart has joined the national initiative to promote an increased level of physical activity in children by creating a route of one mile in the school grounds. Classes will walk, jog or run the mile initially throughout the week with the target of achieving a mile a day individually.