Leigh Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School

‘Live And Learn With Jesus’

Windermere Road, Leigh, Lancashire WN7 1UX


01942 674226

Attendance letter

Dear Parent,

We have been asked to share this with you from Wigan Council.


Education Penalty Notice Warning for Non-School attendance


Under the Education Act 1996, parents and carers have a duty to make sure their children regularly attend school.  If parents or carers fail

to do this, they can be prosecuted.


Working within a Code of Conduct the Local Authority can issue a penalty notice to parents or carers if a child has missed a number

of sessions without permission from the school.

If your child falls within one or more of these categories within a

12 week period

  • 10 sessions (5days) of authorised absence with under 90% attendance
  • 20 sessions (10days) of unauthorised absence
  • Persistently arrives late for school after the close of registers.


You could receive a Penalty Notice of £60 which will increase to £120

if not paid within 21 days.  The Penalty Notice will need to be paid

in full before 28 days of the notice being served.  Failure to pay a Penalty Notice may result in prosecution (a separate Penalty Notice

may be issued to each parent for each child).


In law, an offence is committed if a parent fails to secure a child’s regular attendance at school. Wigan Council Attendance Service, in conjunction with schools, will use these powers as an early

deterrent to prevent patterns of unauthorised absence developing.


You may also receive a Penalty Notice for the offence of failing to secure regular school attendance under the following circumstances;

  • You child is stopped on a truancy sweep
  • You fail to ensure that your child is not in a public place

during the first 5 days of a fixed term or permanent exclusion.

The Local Authority and schools are committed to providing the best possible future for your child. If you have concerns about your

child’s attendance at school or if you are experiencing any

difficulties please contact school and ask for support.


Yours sincerely